Friday, August 05, 2005

 

NCAA

So I'm sure that many of you know that the NCAA is now sanctioning teams that use Indians as mascots. Apparently they have made suggestions in the past that it was not favored and now are putting in stronger measures like not allowing cheerleaders to have a headdress on their uniforms or something. I tend to agree that American has a whole has gone overboard with being PC. I think that if a name is used and the particular tribe involved, such as the Seminoles, doesn't have a problem with it, then it should be fine.

That being said, I don't know what it feels like to have my culture utilized as a marketing tool. No wait, I mean other than having USA splashed on everything. I'm a mutt of cultures. My dad's dad is German and told me that Jagermeister is my heritage and thus I must have shots with him. If there was a Jager team, maybe my feelings would be hurt. I don't know. My mom's mom is Irish. She likes Irish Mist and Baileys and Catholicism. Therefore if FSU switched to Leprechauns I might...wait a minute. Fucking Notre Dame and their use of cultural symbols! No more fighting Irish. That's a stereotypical symbol that Irish people like to fight and have red hair and big feet and carry clovers around with them.

I'm not sure what to think about this whole thing. On one hand I don't think it's a big deal. On the other, I don't feel like I've been oppressed by having mascots that portray my heritage. Here's what some other people think. All I have to say about that is, if you're going to comment on a fairly popular newspaper's website, use spell check. Or at least, don't say you went to college (Mark from FSU).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?