Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

A got a lighthouse

My car registration was supposed to be renewed in January- oops. I was still in transition from MD to NC. I knew I didn't want to move back to MD, but somehow switching my plates and getting a new license made it more permanent. Like I really need to get a job now or I'm screwed. It was definitely worse trading my GA license for MD, but still, my MD license had a crab on it. And the picture didn't suck too bad.

They made me take a written exam where I used a pencil to bubble in stuff- no electronic tests in Lillington. It was harder than I thought it would be, but luckily I had some warning; apparently some of my classmates failed theirs last year. Yes, law students failed the written driving test. NC asks a lot of specific questions.

I missed 1 - if you're going 45 mph, how far in advance must you put on your turn signal?
a- 50 ft
b- 150 ft
c- 500ft

If you said anything other than c you're wrong. I said a because damn, 500 ft is a long way off. Luckily I passed my vision test, that was the only thing I was seriously worried about failing. I need an adjustment to my lasic.

Then I got to choose a background for my license. NC gives you 4 options- the state of NC, the state seal, a lighthouse and the Wright brother's plane. I picked the lighthouse. The only problem with the NC license is that they put a giant picture of your head. Like mega close-up. I think that is unnecessary.

Then I had to go to another building "in town" to get my car registered. One of the bad things about living in a small town is that you have to pay in cash or check. One of the nice things is that there was no line and it took about 15 minutes to get the registration. The nice lady even let me leave to go to the CVS to get $5 to pay her notary charge. And she gave me candy. It took half a day in MD.

Now I need to get a tail light and a turn signal replaced within 30 days and I will officially be an NC resident with everything done.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?