Wednesday, October 01, 2008

 

My body is my body

I was catching up on this blog, which led me to this post. Then I went back and read the comments on the first blog. I almost added a comment of my own, but decided to write a post about it instead because I don't like 4 paragraph comments and I suddenly realized I had a lot to say.

First of all, yes, my butterfly will hold significance forever, that's why I got it. I'm not going to tell you why I decided on the butterfly. A few people know, and that's enough for me. But I put serious thought into it and it was something that I wanted as a connection to something more. I've had it for close to 8 years now and have never regretted it.

I might be a little hypocritical however, because while I love the majority of tattoos, I agree that there are some that just look awful. But that's not my decision to make (as the other bloggers have pointed out as well). I generally don't care for "sleeves". I also think that the reason there are so many stupid tattoos out there is because they're easy to get and don't require a 10 day waiting period. But I get it. I cover mine at work unless it's an office day and don't complain about it.

Then again I think nose rings make you look like you have a zit on your nose and in lots of cultures they're considered beautiful. I've always thought nose rings looked stupid. And I hate Ugg boots along with 3/4 of current popular fashion trends. But I don't think any of those things are reasons to be hateful towards someone. I don't have a problem when people tell me they don't like my tattoos, that's their opinion. But when someone automatically thinks I'm a slut, or "white trash", or on drugs, or a bad person because of my tattoo, I think of why I got it, and laugh, and feel sorry for that person.

Additionally, tattoos aren't permanent anymore if you don't want them to be. It's apparently painful & expensive, but you can laser them off. I won't, but

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?