Thursday, August 23, 2012

 

What bothered me about Harry Potter (Spoilers)

A draft I never posted. This was written right after DH part 1 came out. So...yea.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 the other day. Over all I really enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was good, costumes and casting are always good, sets were great.


SPOILERS;

I really liked the way they moved Harry, Ron and Hermione around after the wedding. They didn't waste time on places that didn't really mean anything. I also really liked where they ended it. I predicted they would end it right after Ron smashed the locket, but I think adding the 3 brothers story etc. was a great set up for the next one.


All the things I didn't like were at the beginning of the movie. I didn't like that Dudley didn't say goodbye to Harry at the start. It was one of the key points in the last book and it bothered me. I didn't like the way the groups all went back to the Burrow. I thought they could have added 5 minutes of dropping in at Tonks' parents' house first. I didn't like that Harry said Voldemort went to him because of Hedwig - it was the expellarimus spell, which is a key point in the story. The last thing I didn't like was the lack of Harry's birthday. They didn't need to make it a big thing, but it was before Bill's wedding not on the same day. When the Minster came to give Dumbledore's will stuff, he could have said something and that would have been good enough.


I understand not everything in movies can be the same in books etc. Often things don't bother me. For example, they basically cut Dean out of this movie. He's with the snatchers and goes with them back to Shell cottage, but he's not there at all and I didn't mind. What annoys me is when they change something for no good reason when they didn't need to. I understand timing is an issue. But why couldn't one of the spells Harry cast be expellarmius? It wouldn't have added any time at all to the movie and would have stayed true to the book.


But, like I said, overall great adaptation of the book and I look forward to seeing part 2.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?